Contiki has a fairly strong reputation of being a travel company that attracts young people that simply want to drink, party, stay up late every night, and hook up with randoms.
If you’re a bit older and you’re concerned that you may not “fit in” with these younger people, DON’T BE!
1. The average age of a person who books a Contiki Tour is 27 years old, according to my Greek Island Hopping Tour Manager. I was a little shocked when she told me this, as it seemed a little high to me. But then she explained that certain tours attract different age groups. My first tour age group centered around the early 20’s. My second tour, the average age seemed to be around the 27 year old mark.
2. Every Contiki Tour I’ve been on had several 30+ year olds. Older people do book with Contiki,so you won’t be the weird dad of the group. You’ll be the weird group of dads of the group. Haha just kidding. But seriously, many people pushing the wrong side of 20 and into their 30’s make they way onto Contiki and have a blast. One of the coolest guy on my first trip was 30 and he was funner than most of the young people.
3. You are only as old as you let yourself be. If you act like you’re too old people will treat you like you’re too old. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. I’m pushing the upper limit of Contiki’s age restriction now, but you would NEVER guess that. I act like a 20 year old when I travel, living the fun carefree life, having a blast and taking in all my new experiences. This is what travel is about, not your age.
4. Contiki members are very accepting of all ages. I never once encountered a situation where people were excluded or disliked based on age. Your tour group is your family. Everyone is really really nice and accepting of each other at the beginning of the tour. Over time though…. things can change, because people are people…. but I never once got the sense that it was because of age.
5. Many professionals and responsible people go on Contiki Tours. I was blown away by the amount of “responsible” people that were on my Berlin to Budapest Contiki tour. I hung out with a dentist, lawyer, business banker, nurse, pharmacist, doctor, and engineer. We stayed out late many nights and had drinks, got really loud, and roamed around cities. It’s not just a tour for loud australians (haha no offense).
6. Contiki tours tend to fill up and have up to 50 people on them. In my opinion, this is a good thing. With a large group of 50 people, you’ll be able to find a group of people that you naturally click with, and you’ll likely spend most of your time with them. So even if you’re older and don’t really “get in” with the younger crowd, there should be other similar people on your tour that you can spend time with. It’s not like you’ll be on a bus with 49 young kids who just drink and hook up with each other. In fact, only a small handful of people go hard with this. Most people are fairly tamed and just want to have fun seeing new countries.
7. You get a chance to get crazy again. Hey, if you’re older and more on the responsible side of things now, going on vacation will give you every opportunity to live up the young life again. If you wanna strawpedo like you did when you were 19 go for it. If you wanna shout at the top of your lungs in the middle of the street, go for it. You’ll have PLENTY of people cheering you on and having a blast with you while you do it. Travel gives you this opportunity to escape your normal life, and a Contiki tour gives you a family to have fun doing it with.
Basically, you aren’t too old for Contiki. However, You may be too old for Contiki if you think you are and start behaving like you’re too old.
I’ve always found the people on Contiki who acted like they were out of place were in fact “out of place”. It’s just people can see it and they accept your reality.
There were other older people who didn’t care and mostly did their own thing during the trip. They didn’t care too much about gelling with the entire group and being a part of everything. That’s fine too. But remember, one of the BIGGEST benefits of a Contiki tour is your Contiki family. They’re your peeps. Your homies. You will make some incredible friends and experience things with them you’ll remember until the day you die.
All in all, if you’re worried you’re too old, don’t be! Contiki is a fun and organized way to see another part of the world, meet a lot of new people, and to get away from life at home. You will NOT mesh with everyone, no matter your age, but being older is truly just a number. As long as you have a positive attitude and a mindset to have fun, I can’t see you not having a blast.
If you have not booked your Contiki Tour yet, I recommend checking out their last minute deals. They have 30% off sale on some tours. Click here to see.