Want To Visit Canada? This Is A Must Read Article

You have been planning that trip to Canada in your head for months, and the time to finally fly to the country is here. Are you aware of what’s needed of you as a foreigner? Don’t sweat, in this article, we will share with you the basic requirements you need to have just before you board the plane.

Canada receives thousands of foreigners every year. If you want to go to Canada either as a tourist, businessman, investor or professionals there are a few things you need to be aware of. A valid Canadian Visa is the first thing you need.

The Electronic Travel Authorization

Ever heard of the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)? It is an application process made by visa exempt foreigners who travel to Canada via flying. An ETA is however not needed if you enter Canada via land or sea. To get an ETA, make a simple request for application, fill out the forms given and make your payment. After submitting the filled form, wait for 24 hours and check your email for feedback.

Travelers with a valid Canadian Visa and American nationals are among the Visa exempt foreigners who are not required to have the ETA. Canadian nationals including dual citizens and permanent residents do not apply for Canada ETA.

Foreigners who require the ETA should come from the following countries; Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados and Belgium. A British citizen, British National living overseas, British overseas citizen re-admissible to Britain, British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth; descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands need an ETA.

British Subjects with a right of abode in Britain, citizens from Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (must have a national Israeli passport), Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (citizens must have an ordinary passport issued by the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs; this includes the personal identification number). Lawful permanent residents of the United States and citizens from Vatican City State, who have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican are also required of the ETA.

The validity of Canada ETA expires after five years. Immediately apply for a new one when this happens. If your passport expires before the five years, your ETA becomes invalid. Ensure that you make a fresh ETA application if this happens. With the ETA, you can visit Canada for as many times as you wish, for up to six months at a time.

Other Requirements

Before making that trip to Canada, confirm that you’re in good health, have no criminal records and haven’t committed immigration crimes. Have your valid travel documents ready. Finally, be well prepared financially. It is also good to reassure immigration officers that you have ties like a job, home, financial assets or family if need for you to go back to your home country arises.

Leave a Comment: